Today, I wanted to write something that wasn't just us telling you all about the fabulous shows that are coming up. (although seriously, check out DK & Friends, and also the feminist funnies!) We enjoy doing top ten lists, not only because we get to profile things we really like, but also because we get, as a couple, to argue over what we both like! Trust me, if something passes both of our palettes, it is good; this doesn't mean others are not good, but when my husband who enjoys dark, dirty and sometimes avant guarde and I who enjoys simple writing with pleasant performing agree on something, it is definitely worth the watch! Also, I feel the need to remind people that to make our lists we must have both seen you, or one of us has seen you and insisted the other one go watch you on youtube, thus there are many who don't make it on our list, but feel free to keep the hate mail coming, we can take it!
10. Heidi Foss: Foss has many one liners that are great, but we can't help but love the barbie bit. Any joke focusing on breaking down gender stereotypes is our kind of comedy!
9. Arthur Simeon: Simeon has a bit about his first winter in Canada. The "it's so cold" type jokes may have been done; however, Simeon brings an amazing life and reality to this bit. A treat for sure!
8. Kathleen McGee: Our guilty pleasure Ms. McGee is. She has a joke about rape. Yes a joke about rape. It is so awful but so funny we just can't help but love it! Viewer discretion please.
8. Adam Christie: We have only seen Christie a few times, and kept calling him "the milk carton dude". That is because he has a bit about Milk Carton's that make us laugh over and over again. Can't wait to see more from this comedian!
7. Nick Cater: Without debate Carter comes in with his "hope" bit that makes it clear he is not just a good performer, but he can write with the best if them!
6. Don Kelly: Kelly has much humour that JH5 enjoys, but he has a one liner over the mix up by the government accidentally sending body bags to a First Nation in Manitoba. Classic, and will always love it!
5. Jen Grant: We have seen her five times or more, and will always continue to enjoy Grant's bit on helping her sister give birth. Great stuff made even greater by Grant's ability to use her facial expressions to get even more laughs! Amazing this comedienne is!
4. Darcy Michaels: His Yoga bit is funny, but his bit about his daughter and the drug dealer is priceless! He will always be a fave!
3. Stevie Ray Fromstein: Hitler in heaven. It is a 38 second bit, but it is one of our favourites!
2. Graham Chittenden: Old people. Period.
1. Mark Forward: Our love of Mr. Forward is a bit obsessive at times (he is the best people, we assert this claim and stand by it), but when it comes to bits, his story/bit about the chipmunk, well it just can't be beat !
Honourable mentions are Alex Wood, Kate Davis, Matt Carter and Dave McConnell.
There are too many bits to choose from, but these are our current favourites that we have seen live. Comment below and tell us what your favourite bit is, if we have not heard of it, we will look for it!
Keep supporting live comedy folks, especially at clubs and venues that offer standards that can't be beat!