Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jenn's Thoughts: March 13, 2011

Welcome to a special edition of Jenn's Thoughts!  And by special, I mean late.  There are reasons for this, which I will get into very soon.  For now, let's look at the week of comedy on our blog ahead!

Monday:  Special WHO TO WATCH, recapping our first folks who to watch, they deserve a second look
Tuesday:  WOMEN OF COMEDY: Guest Blogger Julia Hladkowicz
Wednesday: MEN OF COMEDY:  Guest Blogger local Ottawa male Ed Gougeon
Thursday:  Recaps/Reviews of the Ottawa comedy scene
Friday:  nothing, we sleep
Saturday:  Special (i use that word a lot today) surprise

And now we talk.

I was unsure of what to blog about this week, torn between two riveting topics;  Business ethics or a recap of the before and aftermath of producing a show.  Uninspired, I procrastinated until a new idea for a topic came to me while listening to trance music while staring at two oiled up men grinding each other at a new gay bar in Ottawa.  


Where do you get your material?


I have written comedy on my life experience, following tried and true topics such as family, work and culture.   I likely will not become super fabulous, but that's okay, I am a busy mom, who uses this as a harm prevention strategy for her children.  Some drink, some play bingo, I perform comedy to keep me sane!  Life experience varies for everyone.  I often look at 20 year old comedians who are so angry about life and wonder what on earth they are so angry about!  Who knows, maybe their daily life of sleeping until 2:00 p.m., being waken up by their parents whom they still live with and pay no rent has deep dark undertones.   Regardless, they, as everyone are basing their comedy on their life experience.   Good comedians can take something that they saw that day, write a joke about it and try it on-stage that evening, just to see if it plays well.  Their daily life is comedy, and comedy is their daily life.

In Aaron Berg's recent MEN OF COMEDY blog, he states "Instead of writing a bit about how Montrealers love to smoke and movie trailers are dumb and how horrible your flight was….live a little.  Do something that you would never usually think of doing". Basically: Live life and take risks.
Forward to this weekend. Slightly inspired by Berg's comments, and because lately I have been feeling like a frumpy old mom, I longed to do something different and live a little bit. As a mom of three who works full time, while running a business with my husband, finding time to "live life" might prove to be more problematic. Friday night my husband and I did what we always do; one hour gymstick, one hour zumba, then home to eat and watch Republic of Doyle with the kids. Woot woot, party time! Saturday started normal, but went crazy from there! 


Waking up at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday is normal for me. Off to get groceries by 7:00 a.m., consume our smoothies, clean the house, go to family Zumba all by 11:00; this all went according to schedule. We have a house guest this week, so went to Byward Market, walked around, bought fruit and came home. We JH5 are wild and crazy! Earlier in the week I was invited to a Striptease course at my gym, and decided at the last minute to go. That is something I would normally not do! (By the way, if I was a stripper my dancing name would JennXXX). After this class my short lived dreams of taking my clothing off for money are shattered. I was to sexy what Libya is to peaceful resolutions. I was doing alright until I had to take my stockings off. I could not even reach my toes, let alone sexily slide the stockings off my feet until the men are dripping with anticipation. If I were giving a lap dance the only way it would work is if someone danced behind me holding up my hooters so they wouldn't trip the other dancers! I learned I am not sexy, but first risk taken. As an aside, if I ever do this again, I might shave my legs and not wear my period panties. Notes for next time!


Later in the evening my house guest and I went to see a comedy show. Normally I would watch the show, mingle slightly and go home. Tonight we decided to join the comedians for an evening out. Two comedians (I am not going to name drop folks, sorry) were invited as VIPs to a new bar opening. I haven't been dancing in awhile, something in the neighbourhood of 10 years, so I am game to go out. This makes no difference to me, but I found out it was a gay bar. I come from Saskatchewan, so any bar, gay or not, will be different than what I am used to. Saskatchewan's idea of a hip club is to put a disco light on a haystack. Walking into Flamingo, I am first assaulted with hypnotic trance music to which my hips start moving, oddly sexier than before my Striptease course! I go with my group to the dance floor, and they all drink while I remain sober; I have to drive, and I am nothing if not responsible. As I am dancing I look around, I mean really look around. I am dancing to trance music, looking at male go-go dancers with shiny banana hammocks pouring water on each other. I think maybe I need glasses as I can't see very well, but turns out there is some kind of machine that makes things misty. I look at all the beuatiful and young people dancing away, likely pharmaceuticals in their system, having a great time grinding each other, the wall, even the air. I think "hey this is fun" but then start think "oh my god this music never changes, and can't they turn it down a bit". I move to find a couch, sit behind two couples really going at it, and note that no matter where I go or who I go with, I am the one who is not going to cut loose, the one who is responsible, and the one in the end who will look around and remember that she does not fit in. I smile because I took a risk, and met new people, good for me! In the middle of this hot, new, exciting club, with gorgeous men and women dancing and electric music playing I realize that I am bored to death. 


I will always feel fine expanding my life experiences, but will never forget who I am at my core: a responsible mom, business woman, and, yes, a boring person. I will continue to try new things as they come up, and I can now cross off going to a gay bar with comedians watching gay men hump in speedos. Bucket list is one item shorter. 


Yesterday I stripped and danced with hot gay men until the wee hours of the morning. Did I get new material out of it? Perhaps new blog material that is for sure, but in reality my comedy will never be "on the edge". It will remain about the things I know: work, family and culture. It is who I am and I not only accept it, but celebrate it. I know I will always fit in with those I belong with, my husband and kids.


Comics may come up with their own material based on their life experience, but I think the core of comedy is knowing who you are. Not everyone can do comedy about circle jerking experiences, let's leave that to the ones NOT raising my children. Different comics, different life experiences. No one is more valid, all that matters if whether or not it is original and funny.


If you are a comic keep writing. If you are a comedy fan keep supporting live comedy. Hey,  I just realized I turned this post about life experience and comedy material to be all about me. How narcissistic! I may just have what it takes to be a great comic after all.


A very tired Jenn Hayward
JH5

No comments: