Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Women of Comedy: Pro Comic Diva

Well alrighty then let’s get to it! The first question that most people ask a comic is when did you know you were funny? Some say in school when they got booted from class for being a disturbance others say when they got that first boy or girl they
liked to smile and give them a chance, even though they were kinda nerdy, fat, or still suffering with acne. And still others will say they sort of figured it out over time others don’t remember at all.


Well I knew I was funny the day I laughed my momma out of an ass whupping.


Oh you know you got to bring some serious funny, to stop a hickory switch beating from a hell-bent for leather, you ruined my best tube of Marilyn Monroe red lipstick, [of which you cannot deny since the goop was still plastered on your face along with the mascara and eyeliner you were not supposed to touch either] enraged Sistah.


For those of you who weren’t raised by a black momma, take a moment and think of
the movie “Precious”.  Okay she wasn’t that bad but damn! We are talking back in the good ole days when parents could whip your behind black n blue in a public place and some stranger
would hold your groceries.


But I digress…. Now where was I oh yea………


So there she was coming towards me switch flicking back n forth as she tested it for
durability, cause of course it would not do for it to break mid beat now would it? Although she would make you go pick another one and then sit there while you stripped the blossoms off of it knowing in moments she was gonna tan you some more.
She took another step and was just raising the stick for the first lick, when I
suddenly went down on one knee and burst into “Mammy…… how I luv ya how I luv
ya, my dear old Mammy!


I saw the anger flee from her eyes and the corner of her mouth twitch. What made her laugh the most I think was the fact I was singing Mammy to the tune of Swanee River [both Al Jolson, black face songs for those wondering].  So it was all around wrong to be singing it at the top of my lungs whilst covered from head to neck in her expensive makeup smeared all over my face but that’s how scared I was and having to think fast well it was what it was.


Now I don’t know what you would have done but I tucked that little nugget away for future use. I had no idea what I would do with it, just that someday it would serve
me well and if I was lucky, save me another ass whupping.


Now I know what you’re thinking, you’re thinking, okay so now here’s where I tell ya all about how I became a comic and my first gig. Well I’m not, nope see, I figure here is a good time to learn ya some things Now here I am speaking directly to you up n coming young comics, cuz I realize I got lucky, I found out what my funny was in a real natural way so it wasn't as influenced by years of watching and emulating other comics. Don’t get me wrong I had/have some favourites.  I meant I found out who I was first, before I started listening to them. sort of like
the saying no thy self! Or whatever!


Comedy 101


Anyone, I repeat anyone, with the guts to try can become a comedian; however,
becoming a good comedian is a tad more difficult.  How many amateur nights have you watched several wanna be hopefuls tank like a lead balloon, the flop sweat pouring down their face, the palms of their hands so wet they damn near electrocute themselves holding the mic?


Once off the stage they pour over their material going over and over it, wondering
where the hell they went wrong.  Now it might very well have been the jokes, but maybe not for the reasons they think. So before you jot down those ten sure fire killer anecdotes, that your friends laughed at and assured you would ‘kill man’, STOP, step away from the keyboard
and ask yourself the million dollar question.


What is it that makes me so darn funny?


Do I tell funny stories that make not only my friends, but anyone I tell, laugh so hard
they spit out their false teeth? Or maybe you have the gift of snappy one liners and zany zingers that can set someone in their place.  Perhaps you've got the gift of mimicry and can toss out an imitation of some one famous or create your own unique characters that take on full lives of their own. No matter what style of comic you are, the more familiar you are with the topic, or
the more original the concept, the better the chances of it being funny, at least to
someone.  While imitation is considered the highest form of flattery that only really applies to
impersonations. Let me tell you why.  In today's easy access to footage of most well known comics out there, simply trying to fashion yourself after one of them, when it may not really be your niche  
is a mistake.  Especially when you can so easily be held up to said original for comparisons and
are found lacking.


Comparisons are made all the time, just watch the entertainment shows when they
are hyping some new on the scene comic and listen to the comics they are being
compared to.  The key difference is the ones that really know their stuff didn't imitate, they were
inspired by them yes but, then they brought their own flavour into the mix. Meaning there's a big difference in taking from a fellow comic that which fits you and works for you, then trying to just get up there and be that other comic.


So after first establishing who your influences are, let's figure out if you’re that type
of comic.  Are you a story teller, a one liner, A prop comic, current events, political humorist,
insulting or self deprecating, or a cultural humorist using your ethnicity as a tool?


That’s a lot to think about right?  Ask yourself when do you feel the most in the zone, where it all feels natural and organic, which one or ones from the list above seems to fit you?  Then move on to step two.  Like a dedicated actor studies their craft, your next step is to go to school.
Sit down in front of your TV and watch not just the comics that you aspire to be
something like, watch the new batch of up and comers that have made it at least to
a half hour special.  You’re watching not just to learn what they do right, but also to get a real good feel for what they still seem to be doing wrong.  Pay close attention to how those comics handle it, when their set seems to be going down hill.


What worked to bring that crowd back around? After hours of study, it's time to put your new found knowledge to the test. Keep in mind it is also important to stay open to the moment. What if you step out on stage and you hit them with the first couple of jokes and they don't seem to be biting, but then out of the blue you ad lib something maybe in response to a heckler, but the result is the crowd digs it.


Take the risk go in that direction, if they continue to come with you then go full steam ahead.  At the end of it, if you realize you didn't use any of your prepared stuff don't sweat it, write down what you can remember of what you just did and store it away.


Why? Because you just might need to pull it out again.


Tip material that works for one crowd may tank with another and the smart comic
knows to keep their options open.  If you get a chance before the show take the time to go mingle among and read the crowd.  Or if you're lucky enough not to be the first one on stage, pay attention to what is working and not working for the comics prior to you. Then ask yourself will the stuff I have planned do the trick, be ready to switch up if you have to.


Not that it works every time, but as I said earlier learning to read the room helps
because if the crowd is not the greatest to begin with a plan b or c won't matter
much but at least you will know and recognize what part of it was you and what part
of it was a lacklustre audience.


Let’s say they are part of a big convention of funeral directors out on the town after
a long day discussing death. Maybe just maybe, they really do just want to have a
couple of drinks and retire with that great looking blonde from the bar.


So learning not to take it personally when it is clear the audience is just not into
comedy by anyone, not just you is another component to store away.


In between gigs, practice, practice, practice. Now some would tell you to do this
while looking in a mirror or when with friends, but I say if you really want to know if
you are funny, then take it to the streets.  Just about any time is the right time to start the funny, [with crime scenes and accidents being exceptions].


The best places I have found to try new material: Waiting in line at a movie
theatre, on the bus, on the subway, at the bus stop, a dentist’s office, the bank, in
line at the DMV, in a coffee shop........See the point is if you can make total strangers laugh in mundane settings, you just
might have something there.


Added Tip; when you do this impromptu gigging, I have one suggestion don't use
any of your established material, wing it since most likely that's what you did when
you first discovered you were funny in the first place.


Not only will that put you to the test, it will also give you new material.


One last pearl of wisdom, make yourself laugh!


Any comic will tell you three minutes can be the shortest, or the longest time of your
life. So when you sit down to write material, if you don't get a little glint in your eye,
or a chuckle or a big out and out belly laugh from it as you are writing it, maybe it
isn’t funny.


ProComicDiva

1 comment:

W.R. (Randy) McCormick RNF LBa said...

OMG - That is not only hilarious, but top-notch entertaining as well ... You go girl ...