Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Talent Night Review: Feb 9th Yuk Yuks

Tonight I am being self-indulgent, and reviewing the local New Talent AKA Amateur night at Yuk Yuk Ottawa. Yuk Yuk's is always open to letting newbies try their hand at comedy on Wednesday nights alongside veterans trying out new materials. This is not normally the show for "WHAT TO WATCH" as the show is already done and you cannot watch it again. But, just for fun, let's do "WHO TO WATCH" for tonight.

First, let it be known that I am an amateur comic who has no business reviewing other comics. That said, I will be reviewing this from my view, which is a feminist world view. (yep, we are known for our wicked sense of humour).

Second, as I know most of these people, I am just having some fun with it. One thing I have learned is that comics don't like reviews. No one likes to have bad things said about them of course, but comics have this odd thing where they also don't know what to do with positive comments. Every time I compliment a comic they are like "um, yeh thanks, let's not mention this moment of niceness to anyone ever again". I have found this an odd enigma and a sign I am truly not a comic, as I LOVE it when people say nice things about me. I am narcissistic what can I say. All that said, let's bring on the reviews, which you are free to comment below how wonderful it is written and how much you love me ;0)

The show was MC'd by Dave Atkinson. Atkinson spends a good deal trying to warm the very COLD audience up. It appears a third of the audience are there to watch media darling....um.. Jimmy Cassidy. (more on that later) It is cold outside and the audience remains cold, until Atkinson slowly, with his charming smile and self-depreciating humour, wins them over. He gets the crowd now very warm (and they slowly de-robe their coats and mitts) and we are ready for act 1.

Dan Ciggy comes up. Ciggy has a good stage presence, has some charm, and his jokes are actually well written. Too bad he is a misogynist. This is not a judgement call, one of his jokes states "I hate women, especially those with babies". But he wins some of the audience over, so there you go. He has his own style. that's all I will say about woman hating Ciggy.

Up next is Phil...i mean Peter Gunstra. Gunstra FIRES off what seems like 100 new jokes, 1/3 doing well, 1/3 doing very well, and 1/3 hit and miss, but with any miss, he has a way of making you laugh at the miss. Gunstra reminds me of Steve Buscemi: they are both kind of funny looking with AMAZING talent. Gunstra is a pro who will go far.

Up next is mr. Racism himself Josh Williams. Williams does his regular routine on "hey i'm fat" and goes into routines about racism. Williams is NOT a racist, but does jokes about racisms that are racist but not racist, that make you laugh, then wonder if you should be laughing, but then realizing you are laughing a well written joke that is poking fun at Williams on stage character that is clueless that what he is saying is racist. If you don't follow that last train of words, go watch Williams, it is worth it for these jokes! (PS if i was not clear, williams is NOT a racist.) (but he is tubby, that part is true)

Up next is a young new whipper snapper Aaron Power. I have yet to confirm if that is his real name or not. Seems a bit too perfect for a performers name. Power has a young relaxed dude way about him, and has some decent writing. My favourite jokes are about the Wizard of Oz. Poingnet and timely I know. But funny nonetheless.

Out comes Dave McConnell, and well, if you like listening about dead animals (tonight both dog and cat) you are in the right place! McConnell is known as a dark no nonsense comic, and he continues to get groans turned laughter through his set. He knows who he is, is unapologetic and if you don't like him, well he tells you where to go. Always enjoy watching people squirm as they try to decide if they love him or hate to love him. He does well. (PS, you can follow him on Twitter @Davegenius.

Out comes Kamar Hargadman. I have no comment because, well i have no comment. not my fave.

They comes the man they all came to see, one Mr. Jimmy Cassidy. Cassidy swoons on stage looking like a better looking Conan O'Brien (Atkinson's reference) and he does well with his crowd. At the end of his set I am confused about his sexuality, and have decided to hit on him next time I see him to make sure. Cassidy does well, and then spends the next hour noisily in the green room being interviewed by his classmates for a school project. But he looks good and was funny, so that's okay.

Chris Timms comes out next, looking like a white Vanilla Ice wannabe, with a tude that says "hey, I am 25 and I am angry, because white men sure have it bad in the world". Timms has some funny jokes for sure, and it is obvious he is in love with Dave McConnell. Or at leasts admires him from afar in the comedy sense. In fact the crowd likes Timms, but he is talking about hockey so I don't get any of his jokes. But others laughed so good job Timms.

Then pops in....OMG OMG OMG. Don Kelly! Yes, APTN's own Fish out of Water. How exciting. The first time I met Kelly, I asked him for an autograph....for my kids. My kids sure love him and his show. One of my local faves, my absolute FAVE Aboriginal comic (if not my fave. Ojibwa period) I am excited a professional such as him it hitting the local stage. He is trying some new stuff out, likely for his headlining gig next week at Yuk's (be sure to read our review on his show next Friday). His new material sure makes him seem older than he is. He is confused about kids today and the social media and gunfare. oh silly don. He also starts early on roasting some of the comics. Kelly is one of the best, and effortlessly entertains the crowd. He is also now blushing reading this, but not as much when he handed over the autographs for my kids!

They comes Skip Phillips. Phillips is one of my reviewers for What to Watch. He's a bit rough around the edges tonight, but gets some good laughs. I am just thankful he did not discuss his testicles tonight. Phillips will be at Yuk's tomorrow night to review the show for Friday, so check it out here, then run to Yuks!

Out comes Rabbi David Rotenberg. I have seen Rotenberg before and have had to do some internet search on some of his jokes, further recognizing the lack of knowledge Aboriginal people have about the Jewish community and vice versa. So tonight I am ready, I have Wikipedia'd Hannukah and am ready to laugh. While Rotenberg is telling his first joke, someone yells out "yay Jews". Hmm, Rotenberg comes up with some funny lines about how their are anti-semites and apparently Jewish cheerleaders. He recovers and does well.

Ben Capaday comes out insulting deaf people, short people, and tries for dark humour, but well, no more comment. I do enjoy his joke on sweatshops, but I will just say dark humour is an art form of not crossing from humour to all out racist. I am not sure this line is firm with this young fellow. (why are all these young fellows so angry anyway?) But he is new and learning, and if he does not get jumped by a group of deaf midgets after the show, he might be back to try again.

Then comes, and ladies start swooning: Trevor Thompson. Thompson is as gorgeous as he is funny, and he knows how to charm the audience. He focusses on the lone male in the front, who seems transfixed by Thompsons comedic rants and staring at Thompson's crotch. Thompson is always a favourite with crowds and the young ladies, but tonight it is I who is the most entertained. Thompson comes out with a joke about mental health that I am STILL laughing at. Friggin Brilliant, and I hope this becomes a regular joke as his career soars.

So that was tonight. Overall a very good value for New Talent night. JH5 does not normally review New Talent night because it is just that: New talent mixed with those trying new material. We always recommend the weekend shows for truly polished amazing comedy, but there is something special about Wednesdays. You are there to witness new jokes, bad jokes, and new people. You are there to watch rising stars. And you are there to watch people so bad that it is funny to watch them try. When you look at tonight, which is loaded with pro's and pro/ams, I think the audience is happy. but think in three years: Tonight they may have watched one of Canada's biggest superstarts, trying out their new material which may later be seen on huge festivals and comedy specials. the young Aaron Power may be in ten years as polished and amazing as Kelly or Thompson. Or he may not, but how wonderful to find out! So come out to Yuk's on Wed. to support local talent. Get some wings, laugh at some jokes and know that one day you can say "i remember watching Thompson at Ottawa Yuk's".

Comedy rocks people, get on board.

No comments: